Dates to RememberTop of Page
March 20, Budget Reduction Plan Presentation 6-7 pm; End of Second Quarter March 22
Johnstonville School Board of TrusteesTop of Page
Jonhstonville Elementary School is looking for Board Members.
The person appointed to fill the vacancy shall hold office for two years and then run in the next regularly-scheduled election for School Board members in November 2020.
The primary functions of the School Board are to:
1. Set the District’s Goals and Long-Term Direction
2. Establish an effective and efficient structure for the school district, by:
- Employing the superintendent
- Overseeing the development of policies
- Adopting the curriculum
- Establishing a budget priorities and adopting a budget
- Providing direction and adopting collective bargaining agreements
3. Provide support through its behavior and actions by:
- Modeling the beliefs and vision of the district
- Upholding district policies
- Ensuring a positive personnel climate
- Being knowledgeable enough about district efforts to explain them to the public
4. Ensure accountability to the public by:
- Evaluating the superintendent and setting policy for the evaluation of other personnel
- Monitoring and revising policies
- Serving as a judicial and appeals body
- Monitoring student achievement
5. Acting as community leaders
Please review the questions in the link below and submit your answers and brief resume to the Johnstonville Elementary School District located at 704-795 Bangham Lane, Susanville, CA 96130.
If you have any questions, please contact Tawnya Merrill at Johnstonville Elementary School.
Johnstonville School District Budget Advisory Committee
Each year before June 30, the Johnstonville School Unified School District Board of Trustees is required by law to pass a district budget. Before that happens, there is a six-month process to develop the district's budget.
The annual budget process begins in December and continues into the spring when the Governor releases his proposed budget for the fiscal year beginning next July 1. The district reviews the current budget and begins to develop next year's budget based on the Governor's proposal. In May the Governor will release the May Revise. This is essentially a revision to his January proposal but based on several more months of economic data.
The Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) has the responsibility for proposing budget recommendations to the Superintendent, particularly in times of reductions in the state education funding or when revenue does not meet projections and budget cuts are needed. The BAC starts with the projected budget, created by the Business Manager as a starting point for its deliberations. The BAC is free to recommend changes to the budget, keeping in mind the necessity to pass a balanced budget.
Johnstonville Elementary School Unified School District desires for diverse stakeholder representation. Membership should include representation from both certified and classified staff, parents, and community members. The committee will meet monthly to develop recommendations for the next year's budget.
Please contact Scott Smith at (530)-257-2471 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in the Budget Advisory Committee.